Field Trip: Huntley Meadows
March 20 @ 7:00 am - 9:00 am
Please join us for an outing to Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria, Virginia. This park is a photographer’s dream! Extensive woodland trails, boardwalks through the wetlands, and an observation deck allow for close viewing of the abundant and diverse wildlife. March conditions can be unpredictable as we transition from winter to spring. We might encounter early migratory birds as well as resident waterfowl species, amphibians emerging from winter hibernation, mammals such as otter, beaver, and raccoon, and woodland songbirds and woodpeckers.
Saturday, March 20, 2021 from 7 – 9 AM
Rain Date on Sunday, March 21, 2021 from 7 – 9 AM
- Camera with tripod
- Macro and telephoto lenses
- Foul weather gear if required
- We will gather in the parking lot at 7:00 AM and will walk into the park together keeping a sharp eye out for the owl that frequents the parking area.
- If you are an early riser and would like to take advantage of the “sweet” morning light, we will meet you inside the park on the boardwalk. Please note that sunrise will occur at 6:03 AM on March 20 and at 6:01 AM on March 21. Huntley Meadows Park is open from dawn to dusk.
- There is a fair amount of walking and some areas on the boardwalk can be slippery. You might want to consider wearing walking shoes or hiking boots.
- There is a portable toilet available in the parking lot.
We hope you can join us!
Tammy Tideswell and Steven Glintz
Field Trip Coordinators 2020-2021
* Photographs of Huntley Meadows Park compliments of NVPS field trip coordinator Tammy Tideswell.