I trust all of you are having a great summer, and shooting lots of wonderful images! I hope that many of your images will be entered in Nature Visions this coming November. A couple of things I want to bring to your attention regarding submissions.
- This year you are only allowed to submit a total of 6 images to the Nature portion of the expo, and 2 to the Photo Art portion (previously called Fine Arts.) In past years, you were allowed to submit 10 nature photos, with 6 being free, and a charge to submit up to 4 more. With the addition of another club (North Bethesda), the feeling of the NV Board was that we would overload everything if we stayed with the 10 image criteria. The number you can submit to the Photo Art portion remains the same (2). There is no charge to submit images.
- You can begin uploading your images on August 25. The final day for uploading submissions will be Sept. 23. All the info on submissions can be found on the Nature Visions website (www.naturevisions.org) specifically at http://naturevisions.org/the-exhibits/expo-submissions/.
- Please make sure that your nature images do not include any “hands of man.” There will be pre-judging of all images prior to formal judging to make sure that this rule is followed. See this portion of the website for more info (http://naturevisions.org/the-exhibits/expo-submissions/ ).
- A new rule for the Photo Art section this year is that any image that meets the criteria for submission into the Nature section will not be eligible for entry into the Photo Art section. Specifically, the rules are:
- If an image conforms with the nature exhibit rules, it may not be entered into the Photo Art competition.
- All elements of the final image must originate as one or more in-camera photographs. In post-processing, all manipulations, including digital filters that alter the original pixels (e.g., blurring, distorting, colorizing, etc.) are allowed.
- If your image is selected for the expo, you will be required to print and mat your work. Please make sure that the colors of the printed image coincide with the colors of the digital image used in judging. Additionally, make sure that your mat job is suitable for display purposes—i.e. we don’t want the mat to fall off during the expo. If you need help with matting, please contact me or other members of the club who do matting.
6, Finally, sales of tickets for the expo begin August 1.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or require further information.
Hope the rest of your summer is great!
Roger Lancaster, NVPS Rep to Nature Visions.