Education & Training – Bird Photography with Bill Corbett
December 8 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Bird photography is for everyone interested in the wildlife, beauty, and light that can be found just outside your kitchen window or far beyond. Bill’s presentation will detail photography of birds at rest and in flight, for all levels of interest and expertise, from beginner to advanced.
Bill’s illustrated presentation will cover five topics, with each discussed in terms of the basics and how to move up a learning curve.
- Equipment: From using a point and shoot superzoom to handling big glass on a gimbal head.
- Exposure: Three words — Shoot in manual. Three more words — Expose for highlights.
- Autofocus: Luck favors the prepared. “Spray and pray” favors those who know and use various features offered by their camera’s autofocus.
- Craft: “Sun and wind behind” is one of a number of well-known strategies for bird photographers to arrive at better opportunities, and to come away with better images.
- Setups: Feeders + flashes = fun.
Hope you can make it!
Bill Corbett is a bird and travel photographer who enjoys color, action and texture in his pictures. A photojournalist in college, Bill resumed spending serious amounts of time on photography when digital cameras came along. He is a Nikon shooter who prefers a long lens and who uses a flash anytime he can. Bill enjoys competing his images at NVPS and making albums from pictures he and his wife Judy take on their travels.
Bill and Judy moved three summers ago to southern Loudoun from McLean, where they raised their three kids. He is still just beginning to explore the photo opportunities in Loudoun and west of there. They spend most of the summer in Delaware, where Bill takes his camera to wildlife refuges regularly. His main photography goal is to keep on doing what he’s been doing. It is fun.
Bill is the secretary and a former president of Mid-Atlantic Photo Visions (formerly Nature Visions), a member of NVPS for the past ten or so years, and the winner of a small number of photography ribbons and awards from those two organizations.
Bill is a retired foreign service officer and trade negotiator who served in Washington, Korea and Japan and enjoyed/suffered through more than a few travels to other points as a minor representative of American diplomacy. Follow him on Facebook for his views on current events; he doesn’t post his pictures there.