On the third Tuesday of every month, members bring out their best work to compete. Members compete in classes from novice to advanced skills in three categories: digital images, color prints and monochrome prints. Several competitions are themed. Judges are asked to critique and place each image submitted. Our judges include working professionals who come from varying fields of photography. The current and past winning competition images can be seen in the Monthly Competition Winners gallery.
The official rules of competition can be found here: Rules of Competition. For help with preparing your digital images for competition see Preparing Digital Images for Competition. To obtain a user name and password for the digital competition upload contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For help with preparing your color or monochrome prints for competition see Preparing Prints for Competition. To see the placing results from monthly competitions see Competition Results. To find winning images from the past and present see the NVPS Photo Gallery.
Judging in competitions is often subjective, but there are several things you can do to improve your images. To learn tips you might consider when composing your next image see Tips for producing more competitive images.
Judges are invited to have dinner with members of the club before the competition. Watch for notices on the NVPS website to determine whether a particular judge has accepted the invitation, the restaurant location and time to meet for dinner. This information will also be emailed to members a few days before the competition.
Frequently Asked Questions about Competitions
- Who can submit images for competition?
- Which class should I compete in?
- How many images can I submit?
- How do I resize my digital image for competition?
- How do I upload a digital image?
- How do I prepare print images?
- Can I submit the same image in more than one competition or in different categories?
- What images are entered in the End Of Year competition?
- What awards are given in the End of Year competition?