In this presentation, Mike will show images from his 2017 two-week driving adventure around southern Spain. Photos from the following areas will be shown:
- Barcelona: Street photos along La Rambla; Also, several buildings designed by architect, Antoni Gaudi, including his home, and the Sagrada Familia cathedral will be displayed.
- Malaga: The medieval Moorish palace, Alcazaba, and views of the city from the hilltop ruins of Castillo Gibralfaro.
- Grenada: The Alhambra Palace.
- Cordoba: The Roman Bridge, The Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba.
- Cadiz: Festival of the Virgin of Rosario Coronada, Cathedral by the Sea.
- Seville: Cathedral of Seville; Royal Alcazar of Seville.
- Costa del Sol: Nerja and Marbella.
Examples of Roman, Gothic and Moorish influences will be presented.
As a teen, Mike learned a few basic photo tips from his father, an artist and photographer. He dabbled with film cameras in the 80’s and 90’s, and after that, played with several digital point-and-shoots. However, his interest became more passionate after purchasing a basic DSLR in 2006.
Mike joined NVPS in 2009 after learning about the club from fellow member, Willa Friedman. He held board positions from 2010 to the present, including President in 2013. He received several distinguished service awards and multiple competition awards thru the years including image of the year.
Before COVID, Mike volunteered weekly as a pet photographer for the Fairfax County Animal Shelter and, and as an event photographer for charitable organization’s such as: The National Ovarian Cancer Coalition and The Epilepsy Foundation of America.
Mike says that joining NVPS was a significant step in furthering his interest in photography.