This is a reminder that the final critique of your portfolios will be on Tuesday, April 10, 2018. Now is the time to finalize your work. Please have your portfolio finalized and uploaded no later Sunday, April 1 so the critiquers have time to review them. Here’s the checklist:
- Add or subtract the final images to your portfolio by Sunday April 1. Maximum number is 15 photos for the critique, however, your printed work can have more. For the critique, only the first 15 will be considered.
- Check your Artist Statement. It should answer the question: “what do you want the viewer to know”. That can be what inspired you, what message you want to share, what you want to show the viewer, or what you want the viewer to see, etc. It should be concise. Check your spelling. Pick a simple san-serif font and use large print so it can easily be read on our projector screen from the back rows. Keep in mind that overlaying text on a background image greatly reduces readability.
- Arrange your image in the order you want them to appear (see below). The artist statement is always the first slide.
- Media: print your photos and place them in an album, binder, photo-book, calendar, etc. of your choice. 8×10 or 8.5×11 are popular sizes. Alternatively, put them on a laptop or tablet so that you or members can scroll through to see your final portfolio.
- Bring your finished portfolio to NVPS on April 10 to share with other members. You can place your work on one of the back tables. Members will have time before and after the meeting to view your work. Note: Please feel free to bring portfolios from previous years.
NOTE: THE LAST DAY TO UPLOAD YOUR ARTIST STATEMENT AND IMAGES TO YOUR PORTFOLIO ALBUM IS SUNDAY, APRIL 1 , 2018 AT 6:00 PM
The final critiques on Tuesday, April 10 will be provided by Willa Friedman, Ginger Werz-Petricka and Georgette Grossman.
Arranging your images for the critique
(Note: skip this if there are no portfolio changes since the interim critique.)
The filenames of your gallery images determine the order they will appear on the projector during the critique. It is therefore important for you to name your image files correctly. Also note, image filenames are not the same as the gallery titles.
Filenames are sorted numerically/alphabetically so prefixing your filenames with numbers (01, 02, 03…) work best. For example, naming your files 00_Artist Statement, 01_John Doe, 02_John Doe, 03_John Doe… is recommended and will guarantee the images appear in the right order. (Always use a 2-digit prefix)
The easiest way to name your files is before they are uploaded to the gallery. You can do this manually in your operating system (Windows or MAC), or you can do this in the Library Module of Lightroom under Metadata -> Filename. Also, if your images are in a Lightroom Collection, you can add a 2-digit sequence in the Filename Template Editor when exporting your images (Export -> File Naming -> Rename To -> Edit section of the Lightroom export dialog box.
(Note that if you re-upload your files to the gallery, you will need to first delete your existing images in the gallery to avoid having duplicates. To delete existing images: navigate to your personal portfolio album. Under “item actions” select “delete photo” and do this one by one for each photo. DO NOT SELECT “album actions” or “delete album”. If these appear navigate down one more level.)
Alternatively, you can change the filenames in the NVPS gallery:
- Login to the gallery and navigate to one of your gallery images
- Bring up the “sidebar” by clicking on the word “Sidebar” on the gallery menu (top right)
- Select the word “edit photo”
- Select the “General” tab
- Under “Name” you will see the current name of your image. This will have a “.jpg” extension
- Add a numerical prefix (01, 02, 03…) to the existing filename
- (It is also recommended to change the “Title” to match the “Name” (filename).
- IMPORTANT: scroll to the bottom of the page and hit “Save”
- Do this for each image that needs renaming.